Dear Class of 2019 Students and Families,
What an exciting and busy time of year this is for those who are nearing the end of their high school journey! We’re excited for you as you navigate these final weeks. This message should provide you with information about the upcoming school events for seniors. As the spring progresses, we will continue to send similar information via School Messenger, Facebook, Twitter, and the Class of 2019 Remind Text Service. Sign up by texting @shs18-19 to the phone number 81010. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Requesting Your Final Transcript
To request your final transcript, you need to:
- Log in to Naviance Student. The link is on the SHS website under student resources.
- Click on “Colleges I’m Applying To.”
- For your final college choice, click the edit button (pencil) and update the information.
- Click “Request Transcripts” and final transcript.
If you have any problems, please see your counselor or Mrs. Chitwood.
Senior Exit Survey
Help us properly recognize you in the graduation program, keep our records up-to-date, and recognize you at the Senior Awards Assembly:
- Visit the SHS webpage and click on the “Senior Exit Survey” link. Here is the link: https://goo.gl/forms/iz0PAHlNdLAvOhFQ2
- The survey must be completed by Friday, May 24th in order for the scholarship information you report to be used in the graduation program or included in the Senior Awards Assembly.
Senior Day, May 31, 2019
Honors Reception and Assembly – 7:30 am – SHS Auditorium
- This Reception and Assembly are only for graduates with overall GPAs of 3.0 or higher. Parents and family of these specific students are invited to attend as well.
- Students with a GPA of 3.0 or higher will receive an invitation to this event.
- The reception – a continental breakfast catered by SHS Culinary Arts students – will start at 7:30 in the cafeteria area
- After the reception (at approximately 8:00), honor graduates and their parents will go to the auditorium where the graduates will be called up to the stage individually for recognition and to receive a gold tassel..
- Students should dress professionally for this Reception and Assembly.
Senior Awards Assembly – 9:00 am – SHS Auditorium
- This annual event will follow the Honors Reception and Assembly, and the entire senior class will attend.
- Many, but not all, seniors will be recognized at this event through the awarding of certain scholarships as well as awards from within the school.
- Please complete the Senior Exit Survey (see above) with any outside scholarships or awards you have received so we can properly recognize you at this event. Do not assume we already know about these scholarships and awards.
- Students who are being recognized have been, or will be, notified.
- Parents of seniors receiving awards are notified and parents and family members are invited to attend.
Senior Twister Game – 11:00 am – SHS Gymnasium
- Students will compete in Twister (teams of 4) & other games. Lunch will also be provided.
- Students competing in Twister are invited to compete in a costume contest with their team of 4. Dress up in an appropriate theme to be eligible for prizes! If you need to check on the appropriateness of a costume, see Mrs. Bateman ahead of time.
- Seniors wishing to participate in the Twister competition must sign up at lunches between May 13-20, 2019. ($5.00 per person)
- Seniors wishing to attend the Twister event as a spectator, rather than as a contestant, must also sign up at lunches between May 13-20, 2019. ($2.00 per person)
Early Dismissal for Seniors – after Twister
- When the Senior Twister Game and related activities are finished, all seniors will be released early from school. This will probably be around 1:00 pm.
Career Signing Day, June 3, 2019
Signing Day Event – 1:00 pm – SHS Auditorium
- Seniors may participate in this event if they already have jobs lined up for after high school or if they have enlisted in the military.
- In order to participate students must have filled out the Career Signing Day Survey found on the SHS website by Friday, May 24. The link is https://forms.gle/UpAv2S1sFzbri4AaA.
Community Scholarship Celebration, June 4, 2019
Community Scholarship Celebration – 5:15 pm – SHS Cafeteria/Auditorium
- Students receiving scholarships from the Salem Educational Foundation, the Salem Sports Foundation, and the Chance Crawford Committee, will be recognized and will receive those scholarships.
- Students who will be attending this event will be notified.
- If you have been notified that you will be receiving a scholarship at this event, please send your RSVP to Mrs. Chitwood in our Counseling Office by Tuesday, May 28th.
- If you have been invited to this event, your attendance is expected and essential.
- Parents and family members are also invited to attend this event.
- Graduates will wear their caps and gowns to this event.
- Hors d’oeuvres prepared by SHS Culinary Arts students will be served in the cafeteria at 5:15 pm.
- The ceremony begins promptly at 6:00 pm in the auditorium. Graduates will sit together on the right-hand side of the auditorium in seats that have been labeled with their names.
- Dessert and an opportunity for pictures taken by a photographer follow the ceremony.
Turning in Chromebooks
Chromebooks Must Be Turned In Prior to Graduation
- Chromebook collection will take place all day in the library from Friday, May 31, until Friday, June 7.
- As soon as you no longer need the Chromebook for school purposes, take it to the library.
- Students will be asked to demonstrate that the Chromebook still works.
- Chromebooks that are lost or damaged beyond the replacement period must be paid for prior to students being allowed to walk in graduation.
- Students who do not turn in their Chromebook prior to graduation will not be allowed to participate in the graduation ceremony.
Baccalaureate Service, June 9, 2019
Student-Run Service for Graduates – 6:00 pm – Fellowship Community Church
- The student leadership of the SHS Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) Club annually invites graduating seniors and their families to a Baccalaureate service run by student members of the FCA.
- This year’s service will be held at 6:00 pm at Fellowship Community Church.
- This is an informal family event and seniors should not wear their caps and gowns.
- A reception will be held following the service. To determine how much food to prepare, please RSVP at the following link: https://forms.gle/jixqFfQWh7zYxnLr9, which will also be placed on the SHS website as the FCA Baccalaureate RSVP.
Graduation Day, June 13, 2019
Senior Breakfast – 7:30-8:00 am – SHS Cafeteria
- On graduation day, an honorary breakfast will be held for the Class of 2019 and faculty at 7:30 am in the cafeteria. Dress for the breakfast is casual.
- A senior group picture will be taken in the gym after the breakfast before going to graduation practice.
Graduation Practice – after the Senior Breakfast – Salem Civic Center
- This is a mandatory event for all students participating in our commencement exercises.
- Dress for graduation practice is casual. You do not need your cap and gown.
- Graduates will ride buses, leaving from SHS at 8:30 am, to the Salem Civic Center following the Senior Breakfast.
- Students will not be allowed to drive themselves to or from Graduation Practice. All students must ride the bus both ways.
- Seniors will be dismissed from school after arriving back at SHS around 11:30.
Commencement Exercises – June 13 – 2:00 pm – Salem Civic Center
- If you do not intend to participate in this year’s commencement exercises, please inform Mrs. Chitwood in our Counseling Office immediately.
Attire, Caps, and Gowns
- Graduates must wear either dress pants, dress shirt, and tie or a dress that does not hang below the gown. Dress shoes are required. Athletic shoes are not permitted.
- The graduation cap should be parallel to the floor.
- Tassels should be to the right until you are declared a graduate.
- Graduates will be allowed to appropriately decorate their graduation caps.
- Your gown should be pressed with a slightly warm iron.
- If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Dyer (email@example.com).
- Preceding the graduation ceremony, students will be lining up in the Civic Center Annex.
- Parents can drop students off on either side of the Civic Center no later than 1:30 pm, and students can enter directly into the Annex. The Annex is located behind the main Civic Center floor, closer to Memorial Stadium.
- As students’ names are called at graduation, their picture will be projected on a large screen behind the stage. Along with the picture, we will project 2 or 3 items about the student.
- We ask students to tell us what they would like to have shared.
- We are looking for school involvement, athletic teams and clubs, honors received, outside of school activities (such as church youth groups, Young Life, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, etc.), and what students will be doing next year (workforce, military, college, etc).
- Please share that information ASAP by completing the Graduation Slide Survey found on the SHS website or by visiting this link: https://tinyurl.com/y3ys4dsk.
- No additions will be made after graduation practice.
- At SHS, our graduates do not spray silly string or throw celebratory objects at graduation. A long time ago, we were the only school of the 6 that use the Civic Center whose graduates made “celebratory messes.” This is unfair to the Civic Center staff who must get the Civic Center cleaned up for other purposes. We successfully ended this practice many years ago.
- Photography is provided by Lifetouch. Families can preorder a Senior Class picture and/or a picture of the student receiving their diploma on stage. Lifetouch will be sending an order form to families. If you did not receive one, or would like additional ordering information, please contact them at 540-389-9155.
We are so excited to be a part of this important time in your life! Please let us know if you have questions.
Scott Habeeb and Anna Dyer